Tech Talk – Kick Start Your IT Career
IT is one of the fastest growing and future-proof industries out there which makes it a great career choice to get into.
If you enjoy and excel at problem solving, have an understanding and interest in how technology can be used to meet a business needs and have the patience of a saint when assisting end users with IT support then it could well be a career for you.
As a tech company, we often get asked how people can get into the IT sector so we have summarised some top tips below:
- Keep up to date with trends in technology and be prepared to constantly ‘skill up’ as the IT world is constantly evolving
- Study for a relevant degree in Computer Science or other industry specific qualifications
- Like most competitive fields, you need to look at ways of standing out from other graduates and the best way to do this is to gain work experience
- When you are starting off a career, it really is a chicken and egg situation in that it is hard to get a job unless you have work experience. Be creative and use your initiative, whether this means fixing your friends and family’s laptop or building your own website, do it as it will help you learn skills and to stand out from all those other job applicants
- Contrary to most people’s belief, IT is not just about sitting behind a desk looking at a computer all day! At least not at Nippy Gecko IT which is why our slogan is ‘Awesome IT by people not robots’. Good people skills are vitally important as inevitably you will be dealing with real people!
- It is said that most first impressions are made in 30 seconds or less, while I am not sure of the exact accuracy of this time, it is certainly true that first impressions do most definitely count in business. Make sure that your CV is up to date and well laid out. No potential employer wants to have to hunt through your CV for details.
- Last but not least, do your research. As a small business we pride ourselves on our highly personalised service. Likewise, when recruiting, we are looking for someone who has bothered to look at our website, find out about our company and will be as excited as we are about what we do.
We are always on the lookout for top talent to join our team here at Nippy Gecko IT and so if you think you have got what it takes then check out our current availability on http://nippygecko.it/join-our-team/