Local Magazines

Charity news: Unknown 19 year old Brit poised to become youngest round the world cyclist

Tom Davis: CoteD'Azur

By the Blue MosqueTom Davies, from South London, is poised to become the youngest to cycle the world. The stats he has logged are extremely impressive. After starting out at the beginning of his gap year on 17th January 2015, with little fanfare, he has now completed over 16,000 miles and has only 2,000 left to complete before he sets a new unofficial record (unofficial because the Guinness Book of Records does not authorise “youngest to…” records). Tom has maintained a furious pace, averaging 100 miles per day, and hopes to hit the shores of Blighty in the second week of August.

Tom said “I really hope that I will make it, but things happen, so I am just keeping my head down, and keeping up the daily grind”. He has had some adventures along the way including being held up by snow in Greece, being chased by dogs in Albania, and crossing the Nullabor Plain in Australia, but has not let anything deter him. He said “One of the things that has really kept me going on the difficult days is the thought of the charities I am supporting and of my friend, Sohana Collins,

Tom & Sohana

Tom & Sohana

who is 13 years old and what she goes through every day. She has RDEB, a horrific illness, and suffers pain every day with a smile. The research is so close to finding a cure. They just need funding. I so hope people can support me by supporting her and The Sohana Research Fund (www.sohanaresearchfund.org), and also the other charities, Prostate Cancer UK and Carney’s Community”.

His mum Alison said “We are incredibly proud of him, and impressed by his stamina, determination and tenacity. We are also incredibly grateful for all the support and kindness that he has had along the way. Obviously, as his mum, I just hope he finishes the last leg safely, but it would be great if he can get even more support from the public as he rides back to the UK”.

Good luck Tom and please give this brave young lad (and girl) more support. Please follow him on his blog and Twitter – @tomdaviesrtw, and his fundraising page. All links can be found on his website, and his stats are listed on www.strava.com too.

About Becky (142 Articles)
Hi, my name is Becky Beach and I am the editor for The Muswell Flyer, Highgate Handbook and Crouch End Connection. Whether you're a business or have an event to promote or need a platform to say your piece, do get in touch as I'd love to try and help