How to make Spicy Corn and Crab Chowder ?
Spicy Corn and Crab Chowder
With this recipe you can make you own delicious Spicy Corn and Crab Chowder.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 6 rashers of smoked streaky bacon
- 2 celery ribs chopped into a dice
- 1 red pepper – grilled until black then seal in a plastic bag. When ready to use strip skin off and chop.
- 1 onion diced
- ½ chipotle finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 potatoes chopped
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 4 tbsp sherry
- 8fl oz cream
- 600gms corn kernels
- 250gms crab meat
- Salt & pepper
- Tabasco Optional To Taste
- Heat a large heavy pot at a about medium heat and melt the butter. Add the bacon, celery, red pepper, shallot, chipotles and dried thyme. Sauté for a few minutes until all of the vegetable ingredients are soft. Adjust heat as needed. Be careful not to burn.
- Add flour slowly and stir until absorbed. It will thicken up.
- Add the chicken stock and corn. Cover pot and bring to a slow boil for 5 minutes
- Add potatoes and sherry. Bring to a slow boil for 10 minutes without the lid
- Take pot off heat and add the cream.
- Bring pot to a simmer and slowly add the lump crab meat. Be careful while stirring because you don’t want the lump crab meat to break up.
- Simmer for only another 5 minutes while gently stirring.
- Add salt & pepper a little at a time and adjust to taste.
- Serve in bowls with sourdough bread and add some Tabasco if you want more spice.