Local Magazines

Chapman Pieri Solicitors – Your Local Family Law and Education Law Specialists

Chapman Pieri Solicitors

Chapman Pieri Solicitors

In our last article for the N14 Directory we set out some general tips and matters to consider when thinking about commencing divorce proceedings.

A lot of people think that we family solicitors only get involved when a relationship breaks down and a couple separates. It’s true that a lot of our work does involve divorces, sorting out financial settlements and trying to resolve parental disputes over which parent sees the children when.

But, this isn’t only what we do. We’re often asked to advise at the start of a relationship when couples decide that they’d like to move in together or want to get married. We find this to be particularly so if one of the couple has been married before or if they have children from a previous relationship; it’s not always that there are unequal financial assets being brought into the relationship.

So how can we help? If a couple is moving in together, we can draw up a cohabitation agreement for them. This sets out how the couple’s finances are to be managed both during the relationship and on separation should the relationship not last. While you may think that it’s unromantic to talk about such things, it is so much easier to have a healthy, up-front discussion about finances when you’re happy in your relationship rather than when you’re only talking to each other through solicitors.

If there are wedding plans, a pre-nuptial agreement can be drawn up which would set out how a couple is to hold their assets and what would happen in the event the marriage broke down. Essentially, this allows a couple to decide how their assets should be split rather than having to split their assets according to principles of matrimonial law. A post-nuptial agreement is a similar document that is drawn up and signed after the marriage has taken place. Some people like to have both a pre- and post-nuptial agreement. Why? Because pre-nuptial agreements are only ‘highly persuasive’ rather than legally binding in England and Wales, a pre-nuptial agreement followed by post-nuptial agreement can reinforce the couple’s intention to opt out of a division of assets based on matrimonial law.

Finally, if you got divorced in England and Wales, you’ve not been put off marriage and a second wedding is in the offing in another EU Member State, you’ll need to apply to court for an ‘Article 39’ Certificate confirming you were granted your Decree Absolute. We can help with that too.

If you require legal advice about any aspect of Family Law, please do not hesitate to give us a call.

At Chapman Pieri Solicitors, we offer a no obligation, Fixed Fee Initial Consultation for £75 plus VAT. Please call us at Chapman Pieri Solicitors on 0208 882 9850 or email us at: [email protected].

Take a look at our website where you will find lots of helpful information: www.cpfamilylaw.co.uk.

Address: Southgate Office Village, Block C, Ground & First Floors, 284B Chase Road, Southgate, London, N14 6HF.

About Guest (1154 Articles)
Posts that are contributed on an occasional basis for your enjoyment